I am back! After a glorious 6 days filled with sun, sand and seafood, I am back at home…where it’s rainy and chilly…and there are tornadoes here. In other words, I’M SO HAPPY TO BE BACK. 🙂
For those of you who have never been to St. Simon’s Island, Georgia, I suggest making that your next vacation destination! The island is beautiful, quiet, peaceful and relaxing – just the type of week I was looking for! Not to mention SO MUCH good food. I ate my way through the island. I thought I would share some of my vacation [aka Carb Fest 2013…or Why I Should Always Keep My Dermatologist’s Number on Speed Dial] photos from my trusty iPhone. Which is the only camera I took with me.
There were so many beautiful flowers on the island!
Sunscreen fail #typical
If you like BBQ, this is life changing.
BBQ brisket, mac n cheese, collard greens and fried green beans. And white bread. I ate it.
I had an unbelievable caramel milkshake there. [and immediately went into a sugar coma after]
Multiple trips to the sweets shop…
These caramel apples are huge.
So even though I spent most of my time eating, I also found time to read 3 books!
1. Everything is Perfect When You’re a Liar by Kelly Oxford. A hilarious memoir that I highly recommend!
2. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I also recommend this book, but I do not recommend it for beach reading. I made that mistake. It’s one of those books that makes you cry – not the sweet weeping kind of crying, more like blubbering, ugly, red-eyed crying. And that’s not a cute look on the beach or by the pool. I think I pulled muscles in my face holding back the tears in public. But, like I said, definitely read this. It’s the type of book that makes you really consider your priorities.
3. Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver. A very interesting read by a fellow DePauw University grad! You’ll be rooting for the main character in this one!
I always learn things about myself when I’m on vacation. Here are a few gems from this one:
1. My skin is allergic to everything. I used the most basic sunscreen I could – oil, fragrance and dye free, sensitive skin formula with zinc oxide as the only active ingredient – and I still suffered from rashes and breakouts. Hence, why I should keep my derm on speed dial at all times.
2. Eating a large caramel milkshake will result in a 2 hour nap [sugar coma] and will make me feel disoriented and groggy the entire rest of the day. Worth it!
3. I love BBQ. Especially southern BBQ. Try it – you’ll like it!
4. No matter how much BBQ, white bread, fried foods and ice cream I eat, I won’t gain weight. I’m not sure how this is even possible. I am still in shock.
5. I am lazy. My husband and I do beach vacations together very well because we both want to spend the week doing absolutely nothing. The most physical activity we had was a daily walk on the beach…that was 1/2 mile tops. Slowly. I don’t hate it!
Aaaaaaaand now it’s back to reality. I think going back to work after a vacation is the hardest thing to do. Counting down until my next vacay…